‘Diario Libre’reports that some were identified by Dominican security personnel when they were pursuing athletes who were trying to leave the Island delegation.

14ymedio, Madrid, August 18, 2026 / Cuban state security agents infiltrated sports facilities in the Dominican Republic during the 2026 Santo Domingo Central American and Caribbean Games to monitor the Island’s athletes and prevent further defections, according to an investigation published Tuesday by Diario Libre.
According to the Dominican newspaper, some of the agents even wore uniforms of athletes from other countries to gain access to the venues and approach Cuban competitors without arousing suspicion. The operation was detected by Dominican security agencies, which removed several of those involved from the facilities.
The infiltration by Cuban security forces intensified during the first part of the competition, when two defections had already occurred: Moisés David Torres Puig, on the same day as the opening of the Games; and rower Leah Daniela Almeida, a bronze medalist.
One of the incidents occurred during an indoor competition at Parque del Este. Dominican military personnel detected Cuban agents pursuing athletes from the Island who were trying to leave the delegation. In response, security at the venue temporarily closed the doors and began identifying the people inside.
Dominican military personnel detected Cuban agents pursuing athletes from the Island who were trying to leave the delegation
The authorities checked the accreditations against the Games’ database, which included more than 7,000 athletes and about 3,000 coaches and delegation members. According to Diario Libre, this was how Cuban citizens who were not accredited to perform security duties in the country were identified, and the authorities expelled them from the venue.
The Dominican newspaper reports that another similar incident occurred that same day at an outdoor stadium. The repeated presence of the Cuban agents led Dominican authorities to establish a special security protocol in response to what they considered “interference.”
Diario Libre was unable to determine whether the agents who were detected were arrested or whether Dominican authorities initiated any judicial proceedings against them.
The report takes on significance after the Government of the Dominican Republic ordered nine members of the Cuban diplomatic mission and their relatives to leave the country, without explaining the reasons for the measure. Cuba’s Foreign Ministry described it as “an act of subordination” by Santo Domingo to Washington’s policy toward the Island and said that its diplomats had acted in accordance with the Vienna Convention and that there was no reason to justify their expulsion.
The information revealed Tuesday by ‘Diario Libre’ is consistent with testimony obtained by ’14ymedio’ from one of the five Cuban athletes who abandoned the delegation during the Games
The Dominican newspaper El Día had reported that the Cuban officials expelled by the Government of Luis Abinader were allegedly carrying out intelligence activities by taking advantage of their diplomatic accreditations, but according to that version, the expulsion was not related to the athletes’ defections and was simply a coincidence.
However, the information revealed Tuesday by Diario Libre is consistent with testimony obtained by 14ymedio from one of the five Cuban athletes who abandoned the delegation during the Games. The athlete said he had been warned that the Cuban authorities were trying to locate him and was advised not to connect to social media to avoid being found.
“I do believe 100% that it is because of our case,” the athlete said. “They wanted to kidnap us in a country where they have no right to do that.”
The five athletes who abandoned the delegation were fencers Adán Núñez and Hershey Daniela de la Cruz; softball team’s center fielder Yasmani Álvarez; rower Leah Daniela Almeida, a bronze medalist; and field hockey team’s goalkeeper Moisés David Torres Puig.
Cuba’s sports delegations have maintained controls for decades aimed at preventing their members from leaving official teams during international competitions
Cuba’s sports delegations have maintained controls for decades aimed at preventing their members from leaving official teams during international competitions. In June 2022, during the U-23 Baseball Pan American Championship in Aguascalientes, Mexico, Cuban authorities asked the Police for help locating baseball players Alfredo Fadraga and Yosvany Ávalos, who had left the team camp. Both were located and returned to the delegation, which subsequently sent them back to Cuba.
A month later, during a futsal tournament in Guatemala, the Cuban delegation informed local authorities that three players were missing in an effort to prevent them from leaving the country.
At the 2023 Pan American Games in Santiago, Chile, at least seven Cuban athletes also abandoned the delegation and reported that delegation officials were withholding their passports to make potential defections more difficult. Chilean authorities did not participate in operations to return them and said that the athletes could legally remain in the country while their visas were valid.
Translated by Regina Anavy
______________________
COLLABORATE WITH OUR WORK: The 14ymedio team is committed to practicing serious journalism that reflects Cuba’s reality in all its depth. Thank you for joining us on this long journey. We invite you to continue supporting us by becoming a member of 14ymedio now. Together we can continue transforming journalism in Cuba.