14ymedio, Havana, 24 December 2015 — The protagonists of 2015 Cuba have made their mark sometime in the past twelve months. These people from the areas of culture, sports, religion, politics, science or social activism made this year different and unique. They did it from celebrity or from ridicule; from victory or failure; from discretion or scandal.
All those included on this list barely a representation of the thousands of those who have been at the center of the commentaries, the headlines in the press, and in public opinion. These faces of 2015, according to 14ymedio, are the physiognomy of our country: a diverse and contradictory nation.
- Zacchaeus Baez Guerrero, government opponent
- Jose Ramon Machado Ventura, second secretary of the Communist Party
- Juan Carlos Cremata, playwright and filmmaker
- Gente de Zona, musical duo
- Leonardo Padura, writer
- Yarisley Silva, pole vaulter
- Tania Bruguera, artist
- Josefina Vidal, diplomatic
- Yordanka Ariosa, actress
- Elio Hector Lopez, ‘The Transporter’ and manager of ‘The Weekly Packet’
- Danilo Maldonado, ‘El Sexto,’ graffiti artist
- Dionisio Guillermo García Ibáñez, Archbishop of Santiago de Cuba
- The Team that developed the vaccine against lung cancer
- Antonio Castro, son of Fidel Castro and doctor