14ymedio, 24 December 2014 — Putting a face to a year like 2016, in which several historical events indelibly marked the Cuban reality – for better or worse – is a task as difficult as it is risky. This newspaper has selected 14 people who stood out in the last twelve months, in science, activism, sports, politics or entrepreneurship, among many other sectors.
From today and throughout the week, we present to our readers these 14 faces, which contributed to make this year a singular compendium of achievements and failures, projects completed and others indefinitely postponed. They are those who chiseled the peculiar physiognomy of a year that is about to expire.
- Papito Valladares, barber
- Carlos Lechuga, filmmaker
- Eusebio Leal, historian
- Yomil and the Danny, reggaetoneros
- Ariel Urquiola, scientist
- Rodrigo Malmierca, Minister of Foreign Trade and Foreign Investments
- Elaine Díaz, Director of Neighborhood Journalism
- José Ramírez Pantoja, journalist
- Víctor Mesa, baseball manager
- Juan de la Caridad García Rodríguez, Archbishop of Havana
- Viengsay Valdés, dancer
- Marlies Mejías, cyclist
- Fidel Castro, former president
- Joanna Columbié, activist