14ymedio, Havana, 24 December 2018 — At the end of each year, 14ymedio presents a list of the names of people or groups who have left their mark on the twelve months that have just ended. They are the faces that embody the most important events that took place in Cuba from across the political spectrum, in the arts, sports, social activism and the news. Their names are associated with emblematic moments and are indispensable to understanding the year that is ending.
The protaganists for 2018 are:
– Eduardo Cardet, political prisoner and leader of the Christian Liberation Movement
– Salvador Valdés Mesa, first vice president of the Councils of State and of Ministers
– Evangelical churches against Article 68 of the Constitution
– LGBTI groups in favor of Article 68 of the Constitution
– Anayansi Rodríguez, Cuba’s Ambassador to the UN
– Tomás Nuñez Magdariaga, Patriotic Union of Cuba activist and hunger striker
– Lis Cuesta, wife of Cuban president Miguel Díaz-Canel
– Yanelis Nuñez, artist and curator
– Maylén Díaz, survivor of the plane crash
– Roberto Hernández Navarro, young baseball player who returned to Cuba
– Chocolate, reguetonero
– Cristina Escobar, television presenter
– Maykel González Vivero, independent journalist and director of Tremenda Nota
The 14ymedio team is committed to serious journalism that reflects the reality of deep Cuba. Thank you for joining us on this long road. We invite you to continue supporting us, but this time by becoming a member of 14ymedio. Together we can continue to transform journalism in Cuba.